So, I’ve been working on the Wasted? thing. In the first post I had drum carded the fibre into something that looked like it could be useable. It was lumpy and bumpy and less than perfect. Adopting the philosophy of true beauty and harmony comes from working with what you have and not how everyone thinks it ought to be I decided to roll with those neps and bumps.
I space dyed the batts with brown, orange and grey leaving quite abit undyded. After dyeing, I ransacked my ‘bling’ box pulling out some dyed silk neps in turquoise, shocking pink and orange.
The batts had already been through the carder three times prior to dyeing but dyeing had compacted the fibre a bit plus I wanted to blend the blend the colours and add in the silk neps. Plus the really chunky woolly bits were standing out so I could pick them out as I carded (or not depending on how lazy or bored I got). Carding again also meant I could pull off the batt as rolags (or should I call ’em fauxlags to suit the pedants?).
The woolly chunks show up well don’t they.
I decided to pull of the batt as rolags because the fibre was so choppy and was quite short staples. Drum carder rolags are quite tight compared with those from hand carders. I like this as it puts a bit of tension on the draught. I like to spin with a relatively high tension. No particular reason other than its what I prefer. I like to see the crimp and the fibres pulled nice and straight. Heres a couple of pictures of the singles, the first as it was spun the second on the bobbin:
The lumpy thick and thin nature is quite obvious. It was spun long draw – sort of some bits I went short worsted. It was a real joy to spin. I just let it do its thing. Some bits draughted smooth and relatively thin. Other bits clogged in the rolag and draughted chunky and bumpy and thick. I only pulled off neps if they offended me but mostly I ignored them. I really didn’t do much quality control at all. It was fast and fun.
And here it is plied:
Isn’t it lovely. Not my hands though, definitely not lovely. I had been in the veg patch planting broad beans (too soon?) and went straight in to the workshop to get the plying done so excited was I to see how it was going to turn out.
The final stage was finishing the yarn. As this yarn was intentionally neppy and would have loose bits that will pill or fall off I decided that it would need to be fulled to some degree. Yes. It needed a bit of felting. On purpose. And how do we felt wool. 1 heat. 2 soap. 3. Agitation. 4 Temperature shock. So two bowls. One seriously hot with some non foamy detergent (I use wool wash, but baby shampoo has been recommended) and the other nice and cold. Plunged the skein in the hot soapy water and gave it a jolly good thrashing. Pulled it out gently squeezing it and then throwing it into the cold bowl for a swish and rinse. Repeat. You need to watch your yarn like a hawk. Blink and you will miss the point where fulling becomes felting and you end up with a very lovely very thick dreadlock rather than the fully integrated lovely soft usable yarn you were aiming for. I only did this twice before I felt the fibres begin to lock together. a quick spin dry and hang and hey presto Isn’t she lovely:
I’ve just finished knitting up a sample:
Its super soft and very textured. Ought to have used bigger needles to really let it fluff up and show off its best bits. I think it looks its best in simple stocking stitch. So please with the outcome. I have had a rummage in the workshop . This one is Hebridean carded with silk neps ( I very nearly ruined it by over fulling it so it is not as soft as it was and i regret that a bit):
And this one is some castle milk Moorit and Shetland with some soy silk fibres:
the lumpy bits tended to spin out of the yarn in this one. Not my favourite.
I hope this has inspired you to dig out your ‘waste’ and have a go. If you do I would love to know how you did it and to see the results.